Hospital Based Violence Intervention Programs: Addressing the Public Health Crisis of Community Violence
It is an unfortunate reality that gun violence continues to affect our nation. On any given day, you can turn on the news and hear multiple reports of drive bys, armed robberies, assaults, and homicides.
These shootings in our homes, places of worship, school buildings, and on the streets repeatedly threaten our physical, mental, and emotional wellbeing. As social workers and mental health practitioners, many of us see in real time the immediate effects of gun violence among our clients and their families. In addition to being a public safety concern, gun violence has also become a public health crisis. So much so that firearms have now become the leading cause of death for children & adolescents in the United States. Hospital Violence Intervention Programs work with individuals who have been injured through an act of violence in the community. Through a public health approach and addressing social determinants of health, these programs aim to reduce risk of re-injury, reduce retaliation which further perpetuates violence, and connect individuals to services and resources in the community. Session attendees will learn about trends in gun/community violence, evidence based research that supports the efficacy of these programs, and services available for participants in these programs.
- Participants will learn about the efficacy of Hospital Violence Intervention Programs in Virginia and across the US.
- Participants will learn about the services & support available through Hospital Violence Intervention Programs.
- Participants will learn about the public health approach to addressing community violence.
Upon completion of this course attendees will earn 1.5 Category I Contact Hours, including 0.5 Ethics Hours.
- Arrival time is 8:50am; Training is 9:00am - 10:30am EST
- This is a live virtual training. A link will be sent to registrants the day prior to the training.
Kamron Blue, LCSW
Registration Fees - includes CE certificate (emailed after training)
NASW Member $22.50
DATE: June 7, 2023: 9:00am - 10:30 am
LOCATION: This will be a live virtual training. A link will be sent to registrants the day prior to the training.
Registration deadline: June 5, 2023
REGISTRATION LINK: Here